Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Git wiki & repo.or.cz migration, donations and volunteers pledge

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:29:08 +0100

Hello!

I would like to notify you that unfortunately, Czech UPC terminated the
sponsorship of the hardware and connectivity hosting the Git Wiki and
repo.or.cz (after generously donating it for several years).

We have just secured at least provisional hosting at the Charles University,
Prague and CESNET - the connectivity should be equally good as at UPC,
even better on university backbones over the world. However, I will have
to buy new rack server for the hosting service from my own pocket and this is
where I have to ask for your help - I can't afford to sponsor the full price
of the server, and reasonably powerful rack hardware ain't cheap (repo.or.cz
_is_ quite a workload!).

Thus, I would like to ask you for donations for the new hardware - the full
cost is $1400 (CZK 24000); we would like to gather more in order to be able to
buy a RAID0 pair disk and more RAM. Any extra money would all go to
the server-related costs, most likely hardware upgrades in the future.
I apologize for abusing the vger public forum for this, I hope the readers
not using repo.or.cz and the wiki will not mind.

On a related note, unfortunately I can't spend nearly as much time on
the wiki and repo.or.cz maintenance and enhancements as it would deserve.
Thus, I'm seeking for volunteers to help with both day-to-day maintenance
and development. You will be richly credited and ethernal glory in the Git
community awaits you, plus it will surely make a great CV bullet-point! :)
I'm sure really cool things could be done by developers with fresh ideas,
especially after the hardware upgrade.

*** You can donate and view the current pledge status at: ***

	http://repo.or.cz/h/pledge.html

Thanks,

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis