Subject: Re: Gitignore matching "git add" wildcard prevents operation

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:34:19 +0100

The 14/01/10, Jeff King wrote:

>   1. Most programs don't take their own globs. Without knowing that git
>      can do so, there is no reason to discover it in this instance. I
>      can see searching the manpage for options, but not for a discussion
>      of globbing behavior.
> 
>   2. They would have to know that using a git-glob will magically change
>      the error-checking behavior.

Not sure. This isn't a Git-particular issue.

Users may hit this with a lot of other unix tools (sed, grep, find,
etc). So, we can expect either
  they already know the issue;
or
  they are discovering it using Git.

Most of the tools I talk about do have a manual section about globbing.
Users could learn globs with Git too and expect the same behaviour
somewhere else.

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht