Subject: Re: Gitignore matching "git add" wildcard prevents operation

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:06:12 +0100

The 15/01/10, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 05:11:07PM +0100, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> 
> > > I don't understand what you mean. How does "sed" do its own globbing of
> > > the command line?
> > 
> > Well, we are in the same dilemma as the other tools. The internal
> > globbing rules are explained in the related man page.
> 
> Maybe I wasn't clear: to my knowledge, "sed" does not do any globbing
> itself.

"sed" does /pattern matching/ which is the meaning I give to /globbing/.

Sure, "sed" doesn't do /shell globbing/ but is fed from it. We obviously
agree here. :-)

>            But that is not my complaint; my complaint was mainly that
> git's solution to this is not easily discoverable by an uninformed user.

I agree in that it is not easily discoverable. But I don't think Git's
solution is worse than any other tool. The "discoverabiliy" looks equal
to any other tool for me. As you said, to do a good job we should be
able to know what was the original command-line, which isn't possible.

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht