Subject: Re: extra headers in commit objects

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:31:48 -0800

demerphq <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 3 February 2010 20:26, Petr Baudis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Right. The only solution i can see would have had to have been
> implemented already. And that would involved some headers being marked
> "pass through", some "marked throw away on cherry-pick" and some
> "choke horribly if you find this and dont know what it is".
> 
> And even with somethng like that one wonders if  notes arent really a
> better alternative to user defined headers anyway?

Yes, exactly.

I think notes turn out to be a much better way to store this extra
data, provided you are OK with them being disconnected during an
amend, cherry-pick, filter-branch, or rebase...  :-)

And unlike additional headers, git implementations will likely
support notes, because they are a good way to attach additional
user data onto commits.
 
-- 
Shawn.