Subject: Re: [gitolite] repo config for delegated projects

From: Teemu Matilainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 20:21:33 +0200

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:

> Now I just looked up hooks.showrev, and it's supposed to be any shell
> command.  Clearly this means anyone who can set that gitconfig option
> now has shell capability, and it's game over.

But of course you need to have a hook that runs the command.  And
setting hooks requires shell access.

Sorry for not thinking any problems with the config thing.  I personally
don't use the delegation and on the other hand all our gitolite
administrators anyway have shell access to the server...

> Regardless of how I look at it, I can't think of a cure for this short
> of either:
>   - putting all the allowed gitconfigs in the RC file, and not in the
> config (writing the RC file requires shell access, and we presume the
> "root of trust" person has enough smarts to know what to allow and
> what not to allow), and allowing repo admins to *refer* to them to use
> whichever they want

This sounds better solution for me.

>   - someone coming up with a list of gitconfig's that are "safe", and
> specific values for those that are unsafe (like saying "if you use
> showrev, you can only use this command  as the value", and forcing
> only those.

Might get too complicated.  Anyway the person setting the hook script
should know what it does and which configuration keys it uses and how.

-- 
	- Teemu