Subject: Re: notes TODOs

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:05:04 +0100

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >   'git notes' move [-f] <oldobject> <newobject>
> 
> I suspect "copy" to keep the old one than "move" would be a lot more
> sensible, especially when you are talking about people (like me) who amend
> often.  They cannot get it right in their first try by definition ;-), and
> their very original edition is sometimes easier to start from than their
> second edition, when they are trying to come up with the final edition of
> the commit.  Using "move" to lose the notes from the old object will make
> it harder to go back to the original and start amending from there.

True.  It would be better then to have "git notes copy ...", and perhaps
even a configuration option to have --amend copy notes to new version
automatically.

You can always get note before move with

  GIT_NOTES_REF=refs/notes/commit^ <git command>

(assuming that you use default notes ref).  But that would work for
"git show", but not for "git log --walk-reflogs".

P.S. I have tried to use 'git notes edit v1.6.6.1', and while it annotates
a tag object, the message in editor make it look like you are annotating
the commit it points to.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland