Subject: Re: GSoC 2010

From: Mike Hommey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:07:58 +0100

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:32:44AM +0100, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> Heya,
> 
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:35, Johannes Schindelin
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Mike Hommey wrote:
> >> It is already mentioned on the wiki that this would probably be a
> >> problem, license-wise. (the svn library is Apache license, which is
> >> incompatible with GPLv2)
> 
> Yeah, guess who put that there ;).
> 
> > So git-remote-svn would have to be under an Apache-compatible license, so
> > what? It is not as if git-remote-svn was a derivative work of Git, just
> > because it abides by a very simple command-line interface that happens to
> > be defined in Git, but would work anywhere else, too.
> 
> Excellent point, I think we could safely argue that if we only expose
> 'import' and 'export' (so adhere to the fast-import/fast-export format
> that is already widely used), that it is indeed not a derative work.

It is not so clear when you begin to use facilities such as strbuf, etc.
Maybe dual-licensing these parts would be enough, though, but that still
means doing some homework (getting approval from all contributors)

Mike