Subject: Re: web-based client for Git, was Re: GSoC 2010

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:51:46 +0100

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 01:44:36PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 01:18:44PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> >   Hi!
> > 
> > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:25:02PM +0530, Pavan Kumar Sunkara wrote:
> > > sorry but my mails aren't reaching the mailing list. So it would be
> > > helpful if you forward this mail to the mailing list
> > 
> >   I'm quoting it in full here. :-)
> > 
> > > I would be happy to elaborate this.
> > 
> >   Thanks a lot!
> > 
> > > First of all, this is not another gitweb or gitorious.
> > > This is a client to use git. I mean, you could use this to work on git
> > > repositories. (even editing files)
> > 
> >   Aha, I see. Are you aware of "gist" [http://gist.github.com/]? It is
> > in a sense the first attempt to do this, albeit quite rudimentary in
> > some ways. And it's also closed-source, I'm not personally aware of an
> > open-source alternative, so this would certainly be useful! Actually,
> > I can say I would certainly like to add this functionality to repo.or.cz
> > for creating commits on the mob branches over the web directly.
> 
> Surely, something could be plugged into https://bespin.mozilla.com/,
> which already does a great job at editing.

That sounds like a nice replacement for the textarea, thanks for the
tip! On the other hand, I think this is currently the least important
part of the project and for the basic implementation, even a simple
textarea should suffice, any prettier editor hopefully could be slammed
in anytime trivially.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices. -- William James