Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix signal handler

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 01:47:45 -0500

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 02:30:45PM +0100, Markus Elfring wrote:

> > Why does this need to become extern?
> 
> How do you think about to stress the detail that the function
> "log_show_early" is called by the function "limit_list" from an other
> translation unit.

Stress to whom? The keyword "extern" tells something to the linker, but
the linker doesn't care (and in fact making it extern introduces cruft
into the global namespace). If you want to tell the user, a comment
would be appropriate, but I don't think it is necessary. It is not hard
to see that the only use is assigning to an extern function pointer.

> > Overall, this change looks sane to me.
> 
> How are the chances to get the update suggestion into the public Git
> repository?

You would have a better chance if you followed the directions in
SubmittingPatches, including sending it to the maintainer, including
your patch inline, and wrapping your commit message.

-Peff