Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 7/7] t7006-pager: if stdout is not a terminal, make a new one

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:19:47 -0600

Jeff King wrote:

> Solaris 8 and 9 seem to be lacking it. Solaris 10 does have it. AIX 5.2
> and 6.1 both have it.
> 
> So it would mean some platforms couldn't run all tests. That is probably
> good enough, given that most of our terminal-related bugs have not been
> platform-specific problems.

Hmm, how about /dev/ptmx?  (One can check by replacing posix_openpt(...)
with open("/dev/ptmx", ...) in the test-terminal.c I sent.)

> Still, it seems like just wrapping isatty would be simpler. I guess you
> are opposed to carrying around test-specific code in the main git
> binary?

No, not opposed.  Just lazy and not so interested in working on it.
I do not want to just take the implementation you provided because I
want to test the scripted git commands, too, though I haven’t gotten
around to that.

Jonathan