Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v3 00/12] several notes refs, post-rewrite, notes rewriting

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:14:02 +0100

On Sunday 21 February 2010 04:47:37 Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> I like the general direction in which this series is going, but a config
> that does not have any command line counterpart is a design mistake.

I hate[1] to point out that according to the same criterion, the
*current* notes are a design mistake.  Unless you count GIT_NOTES_REF,
in which case in my opinion...

> Hmm; if this will _always_ be limited to "git notes" command and no other
> commands will _ever_ learn a command line option to override what notes
> namespace to use in the future, then "--ref" is perfectly a good name.
> But otherwise, "git log --ref=notes/amlog" would look _very wrong_, and
> would end up being called "git log --notes-ref=notes/amlog" instead.  When
> that happens, "git notes --ref=notes/amlog" would look inconsistent and
> people will complain, no?

... the obvious extension of the same would be GIT_NOTES_DISPLAY_REF
(colon separated list of globs), GIT_NOTES_REWRITE_REF,
GIT_NOTES_REWRITE_MODE, and whatnot.

Which could still be made into a "global" option along the same lines
as GIT_WORK_TREE.

I don't really want to go the other way and patch every command that
could conceivably have notes in its output.

[1] No I don't, that just sounded nice.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch