Subject: [PATCH 1/2] Makefile: fix definition of $(TEST_PROGRAMS) on Windows

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 03:03:12 -0600

From: Michael Lukashov <[email-masked]>

Commit ea92519 (build dashless "bin-wrappers" directory similar to
installed bindir, 2009-12-02) replaced the definition of
TEST_PROGRAMS with a macro:

 TEST_PROGRAMS = $(patsubst %,%$X,$(TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X))

and commit daa99a9 (Makefile: make sure test helpers are rebuilt when
headers change, 2010-01-26) moved the (unchanged, non-macro)
definition of TEST_PROGRAMS earlier so it could be used in two
different sections of the Makefile.

The merge 225f78 resolving these two changes unfortunately snuck in an
optimization while at it: it replaced the delayed-evaluation =
operator with an immediate := assignment:

 TEST_PROGRAMS := $(patsubst %,%$X,$(TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X))

Such a change would have been safe when TEST_PROGRAMS was defined
towards the bottom of the makefile, but in its new location before
the platform-specific definitions, $(X) is not yet defined.  Thus
the following error occurs when trying to compile Git in Windows:

  make: *** No rule to make target `test-chmtime', needed by `all'.  Stop.

or if X is set to a nonempty value in config.mak.

So change the operator back to =.  This makes TEST_PROGRAMS more
similar to PROGRAMS and the other macros defined with delayed
evaluation in that section.

Thanks to Junio for the analysis.

Signed-off-by: Michael Lukashov <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
---
Thanks for the catch!  Here’s a longer explanation.

 Makefile |    2 +-
 1 files changed, 1 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index 93e1a92..b64eec1 100644
--- a/Makefile
+++ b/Makefile
@@ -418,7 +418,7 @@ TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X += test-sha1
 TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X += test-sigchain
 TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X += test-index-version
 
-TEST_PROGRAMS := $(patsubst %,%$X,$(TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X))
+TEST_PROGRAMS = $(patsubst %,%$X,$(TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X))
 
 # List built-in command $C whose implementation cmd_$C() is not in
 # builtin-$C.o but is linked in as part of some other command.
-- 
1.7.0