Subject: Re: How do you add an external directory to repository?

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 22:36:24 +0100

The 07/03/10, slipstream180 wrote:

> I understand that I can add a symbolic link to /home/some/directory, but I
> believe that only track the link. How do I track all files under the
> directory as well?

I think you're looking for the bind option of mount. This is what I use
to track all my configuration files in one "conf" repository.

Here is an extract of how my fstab looks like:

  /home/nicolas/.zsh /home/nicolas/dev/conf/zsh				auto	bind,user	0 0 
  /home/nicolas/.vim /home/nicolas/dev/conf/vim				auto	bind,user	0 0 
  /home/nicolas/.mutt /home/nicolas/dev/conf/mutt				auto	bind,user	0 0 
  /home/nicolas/.screen /home/nicolas/dev/conf/screen			auto	bind,user	0 0 
  /home/nicolas/.offlineimapconf/ /home/nicolas/dev/conf/offlineimap	auto	bind,user	0 0 

I also use a symbolic link ~/.zshrc to .zsh/zshrc to track it too. This
is very useful because one logical change may affect configuration files
from various programs (e.g. have a new mailbox concerns mutt,
offlineimap, imapfilter, and some other scripts of my own).

Also, I use this trick for web projects:

  /home/nicolas/dev/wsb /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wsb			auto	bind,user	0 0

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht