Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add support for GIT_ONE_FILESYSTEM

From: Lars Damerow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:28:58 -0700

>>From Jeff King <[email-masked]>, Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:33:06PM -0400:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:40:03PM -0700, Lars Damerow wrote:
> 
> > +		if (getenv("GIT_ONE_FILESYSTEM") != NULL) {
> 
> Should this really trigger for GIT_ONE_FILESYSTEM=0? We already have
> git_env_bool, which will handle 0/1, true/false, etc. Probably you
> should use it here.

Thanks for the pointer--I wasn't aware of git_env_bool. I'll use it
instead.

> I am not a big fan of the environment variable name, either, but I don't
> have another good suggestion. It is closely related to
> GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES (in fact, you could probably solve the same
> problem with GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES, but I think your solution is much
> nicer in that it lets the user get away with being less verbose).

I was thinking about cp's -x option and its description in the man page
when I chose GIT_ONE_FILESYSTEM. Before I wrote this patch I configured
my machines to have their most popular automount points in
GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES, but need a more complete solution and don't
want to have a cron job running to keep the list up to date.

Do the overall idea and implementation have enough merit that the patch
could get accepted?

thanks,
-lars

--
lars r. damerow :: button pusher :: pixar animation studios

The big print giveth and the small print taketh away.