Subject: Re: native-git-svn: A Summer of Code 2010 proposal

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:53:01 -0500

Avery Pennarun wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Ramkumar Ramachandra

>> The following resources are relevant to the project:
>> 1. git_remote_helpers/git/git.py is a minimalistic remote helper
>> written by Sverre. I plan to extend this as much as possible before
>> rewriting it in C.
>
> Are you sure you really want to rewrite git-svn in C?  svn is so slow
> that interpreted vs. native performance is unlikely to be an issue.
> git-svn is probably not going to be needed on embedded systems where
> installing python or perl is a problem.  And managing the data
> structures in a high-level language should be a lot easier.

Hmm.  Sverre discussed why this is more about a redesign of svn
interop support than a C reimplementation of git-svn.  I wouldn’t mind
if at the end of the summer, all we have is some working Python code.
Still, it would have to be rewritten in C or Perl before msysgit could
use it unless some hero packages a Python interpreter for them.

Jonathan