Subject: Re: Master branch not updating

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:47:49 +0100

Jacopo Pecci wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a simple local project, with only the master branch. After few
> commits with Git Extensions, I have realized the label [master] was
> stuck, it was not pointing at the latest commit any more. Nevertheless
> I could see a full list of all my new commits with the proper comments
> in the main window.  It looked like I was not on any branch (if this
> is possible)
> Then I have tried “checkout master branch”, suddenly all the commits
> in between the one labelled [master] and the latest one vanished. I
> have not been able to get back.
> 
> I am terribly afraid I have lost 4 day work. Do you have any
> suggestion? How is it possible that something which I have committed
> is not retrievable anymore.

Read this very nice article by Sitaram Chamarty:

http://sitaramc.github.com/concepts/detached-head.html

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch