Subject: Feature request: option to not fetch tags for 'git remote' branches

From: Frans Pop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:54:28 +0100

I'm sometimes asked to build a kernel or rebase patches against a certain 
development repository. No problem, happy to do that.

Except that some of those repos have huge numbers of tags that I'm not 
interested in and which only muddy the tags from the "origin" repo and my 
own.

I mostly want to remove the remote again ASAP and having to semi-manually 
remove the unwanted tags afterwards is a nuisance.

Example (on top of kernel mainline):
$ git remote add -t master iwlwifi \
	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git
This results in the addition of 326 'master-<date>' tags, 70 'merge-<date>' 
tags and 6 'snapshot-<date>' tags.
Similar effects for example from Ingo's "tip" repository.

It would be great to be able to tell 'git remote' to skip tags and only 
fetch the requested branch. A --no-tags option maybe?

AFAIK this is currently not possible, although I'd happy to be proven 
wrong.

Cheers,
FJP