Subject: Re: Tree with leading '0' modes in 1.7.0.3

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:40:39 -0500

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

>>> Any ideas?  Why is Git 1.7.0.3 jamming a leading '0' on a file mode?
>> 
>> See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/141028
>> and commit c88f0cc (notes: fix malformed tree entry, 2010-02-24).
>> 
>> The regression that that fixes appeared in 61a7cca0 (Notes API:
>> write_notes_tree(): Store the notes tree in the database, 2010-02-13),
>> which is not part of 1.7.0.3.
>
> That may be true... but I doubt the tree in question was a notes
> tree.  The path entries were names like 'README', 'modules' and
> 'stewardbot'.  Something I would assume was the project's source
> tree, not its notes tree.

Yes, true.  The problem is probably elsewhere, especially because
1.7.0.3 doesn’t even have that commit.  Still, I find this a bit
strange because such breakage should have been noticeable if it
happens often.

What has changed recently that involves writing trees?

Jonathan