Subject: Re: Are the patches used to build git on cygwin available in a git repo somewhere?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:35:26 -0500

Jon Seymour wrote:

> What I was looking for was a git repo that contains a branch with the
> patches that the cygwin folks mutate the official git release with.

To clarify, I didn’t realize the Cygwin folks needed a patch at all.
Oh well, theory and practice.

I just fetched the packaging.

  http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/cygwin/release/git/git-1.6.6.1-1-src.tar.bz2

gitk - work around stderr redirection on Cygwin

  The description of this patch suggests it is meant to work around
  the old Tcl/Tk version.  In that case, maybe stock gitk should learn
  a workaround.  I don’t think it is supposed to require more recent
  Tcl/Tk than 8.4.

  Unfortunately, I cannot find a relevant changelog entry.  Maybe
  this is a Windows-specific bug?  http://wiki.tcl.tk/2620
  describes a similar problem.

gitk - convert gitk-path to Windows if on Cygwin

  This patch seems reasonable, and it only affects Cygwin.  I think it
  looks reasonable for inclusion in stock gitk, though others might
  disagree.

Documentation/Makefile

  Adds --unsafe to the asciidoc command line.  Why?

Makefile

  Stops disabling so many features, since Cygwin has come a long way.
  This looks worth applying upstream.  The conservative thing to do
  would be to test $(uname -r), but since it is easy to bring a
  Cygwin installation up to date and hard to figure out the appropriate
  versions, it might make sense to make this change unconditionally.

  A worrisome one is NO_MMAP.  Was that problem ever understood?  Maybe
  v1.6.3-rc0~133 (MinGW: implement mmap, 2009-03-13) contains some clues
  (just a hope).  The message for v1.5.0-rc1~182 (Set NO_MMAP for Cygwin
  by default, 2006-12-27) indicates that it’s filesystem-specific, 

Makefile: all:: perl/perl.mak

  Should be unnecessary. The scripts should pull it in already.

Makefile: setting INSTALLDIRS=vendor in the perl/perl.mak target

  Should be unnecessary.  Make passes on variable settings from the
  command line to submakes already.

git-gui/Makefile:

  Change to Cygwin-specific part.  Probably applicable upstream.

Thoughts?
Jonathan