Subject: Re: [PATCH] Initialize notes trees if %N is used and no --show-notes given

From: Johannes Gilger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:19:04 +0200

On 06/04/10 11:27, Thomas Rast wrote:
> [A Cc would have been nice, I nearly missed this but it's clearly my
> bug.]
Sorry for that, haven't mailed to git-ml for quite a while ;)

> I see three options:
> - %N could simply expand to nothing if notes are disabled
> - %N could silently initialize as above
> - your patch
The first option would be confusing. I, for one, would simply put %N in
my log and never really know that existing notes aren't displayed. I
wasn't even sure my git.git checkout had notes, so I created one myself.
A better behaviour would be to not expand %N if notes are disabled, so a
user gets some kind of feedback that %N isn't working.

I'd really like %N to do the initialization. There is no other
placeholder which requires an extra option to work, if I see it
correctly.

As for the builtin formats I was under the impressions that they worked
completely outside the parser for placeholders, so one would not use
'%N' in a builtin format, and %N initializing the notes would not
conflict with --no-notes and builtin formats.

> though for your patch, I'd also remove the assert() since it's
> basically there to enforce the requirement of initializing them; the
> trees list can never be NULL after init_display_notes().
Sure.

Greetings,
Jojo

-- 
Johannes Gilger <[email-masked]>
http://heipei.net
GPG-Key: 0xD47A7FFC
GPG-Fingerprint: 5441 D425 6D4A BD33 B580  618C 3CDC C4D0 D47A 7FFC