Subject: Re: [PATCH] Replace hard-coded path with one configurable at make time

From: Chris Webb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:35:25 +0100

Chris Webb <[email-masked]> writes:

> Were it just exec_cmd.c, I would just have changed it to use _PATH_DEFPATH
> from <paths.h> in preference to a make variable, as that should always give
> an appropriate value for a correctly put-together system and is a sensible
> place to treat as the central definition of 'default path'. However, in this
> case it's needed in the shell script too and I don't think I can easily get
> at _PATH_DEFPATH from there.

Having looked at this again, I think it's probably better to tackle the two
pieces separately. It would be cleaner to fix exec_cmd.c to use the correct
system-wide _PATH_DEFPATH from <paths.h> if possible, as in the following
patch, rather than introduce yet another make variable.

Similarly, looking more closely at what the path gets used for, I think
git-instaweb.sh is wrong to hard-code a default path anyway: it should
surely pass through the path inherited from the invoking user rather than
silently overriding it. I'll do a separate patch for that.

Cheers,

Chris.