Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH v2 0/4] A new library for plumbing output

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:16:06 +0200

On Wed,  14 Apr 2010, Julian Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:10:35 +0200, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
> wrote:

> > 'git blame' has --porcelain and --incremental output, which is line-based
> > and pretty much self-describing (with "header-name value" syntax for most
> > of it), and well documented.  JSON output would only add unnecessary
> > chatter and different quoting rules.
> 
> That depends really.  If you are writing something to parse the output,
> and you already have a JSON parser available then it's the current output
> that has different quoting rules. ;)

True.

> 
> Anyway, I have already converted blame to use the library for both
> --porcelain and --incremental output, so it'll be in the next version of
> the patch series.  So you can try before you buy ...

Nice.

How did you managed to work with a bit non-standard rules of --porcelain
format, namely maybe-quoting of filenames, and that not all lines conform
to "<header> SP <value> LF" syntax: group definition begins with SHA-1,
and contents is indented with TAB?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland