Subject: Re: CIA hook for contrib/

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:04:27 +0200

Thanks for doing all the changes!

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:51:49AM -0400, Eric Raymond wrote:
> Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>:
> > I would personally prefer to have this configurable; I consider trying
> > to protect your e-mail address against harvesters is a lost fight anyway
> > and you'd be much better off just getting a good spam filter, rather
> > than making yours and others' life harder by trying to fight in vain.
> > But it's not too important for me since I can just disable this easily.
> 
> But email name collisions within projects are vanishingly rare, so I
> don't see a lot of benefit in publishing the FQDN.

That's a good point, I guess I was just ranting in general. ;-)

> > Your life would be much easier in both the shell and python script if
> > you used something like:
> > 
> > 	git log -1 '--pretty=format:%an <%ae>%n%at%n%s'
> > 
> > You would also get <ts> in the correct format, incl. timezone correction.
> 
> Good point.  I inherited that nasty code; perhaps this facility did not
> exist when it was written.

It most probably wasn't, the original perl script in particular was
written at the very dawn of time from git history perspective.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
http://pasky.or.cz/ | "Ars longa, vita brevis." -- Hippocrates