Subject: Re: Useless error message?

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:56:25 +0200

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 05:19:54PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Aghiles wrote:
> 
> > "fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly"
> > 
> > Is that really meaningful ? Or maybe it is a configuration problem
> > on my side ?
> 
> Please, fix it. :)

I have seen a lot of users who plainly had a lot of trouble even
_understanding_ the error message - it is phrased in super-dense
networking jargon. I think something like

	"fatal: Server terminated the connection for unknown reason"

might come a long way (though of course specific error messages would
still be far more helpful).

(I assume that the remote end is the server since (i) it is most often
the case (ii) it is if you look at it through the client-server optics,
which may not always be the best one, but see (i).)

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
http://pasky.or.cz/ | "Ars longa, vita brevis." -- Hippocrates