Subject: Re: GSoC 2010: "Integrated Web Client for git" proposal

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:10:14 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 02:15:32PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Petr Baudis <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Note that for the latter two, operation mode without working copy is
> > essential; I have not seen you address it anywhere.
> 
> What do you mean by "without working copy"?  Is the proposal about having
> a working copy _per_ client on the server side, and the file editor and
> goodies listed in the "Wrote modules" list operate on these files?

  Currently, the write side will probably not be able to work on bare
repositories; it will have a working copy _per repository_ and the
operations like git add will work on the working copy.

  The original idea was to just have a git-gui replacement that runs
within your browser, and that's what is getting implemented I think.
This is not that interesting to me, but the applications it can be
easily extended to are. ;-)

> Perhaps you meant to say "without working copy on the client side", and if
> that is the case I think we are on the same wavelength.  That is exactly
> why I earlier said that I imagine that the "Gitweb client write support"
> would be based on something more standard like DeltaV, instead of rolling
> a custom hack that is not compatible with anybody else.

  DeltaV?

  I think WebDAV API would be very fine to have *in addition* to
user-friendly web interface, but is useful in very different scenarios.
You need something to frontend WebDAV anyway.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
http://pasky.or.cz/ | "Ars longa, vita brevis." -- Hippocrates