Subject: Re: multiple .gitignore and friends in same workdir possible?

From: Konrad Karl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:29:59 +0200

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 05:51:18PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> Konrad Karl venit, vidit, dixit 23.04.2010 17:03:
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 04:50:21PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> >> Konrad Karl venit, vidit, dixit 23.04.2010 16:32:
> >>> Hi
> >>>
> >>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 03:01:42PM +0200, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> .........
> > Because this information does not getting transfered with git clone.
> > 
> > People have the chance to forget to set this variable after cloning the
> > source repo and they will. 
> 
> ...and the same is true for setting GIT_DIR appropriately for each repo
> - people will commit to the wrong repo, which is even worse. That's why
> it's a fragile approach to begin with. Is there no chance you could put
> those libs in subdirs and use git modules?

the chance exists for the future but the existing build system does not
support it (especially for older releases which I would like to be able
to rebuild as is).

I think a script with a prominent name in the  workdir which will set 
the git variable  will be the next convenient solution which we can live with.

thanks for your input,
Konrad

> Michael