Subject: Re: RFD: tables in documentation

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 12:53:54 -0500

Hi Michael,

Michael J Gruber wrote:
> Michael J Gruber venit, vidit, dixit 02.05.2010 17:08:

>> Further experimentation (editing the xml) indicates that with my
>> toolchain, I can either shut off all borders (between cells as well as
>> outer) or none.
[...]
> For completeness, it results in this:
> 
>      I                H         M               Result
> 
>  0   nothing          nothing   nothing         (does not happen)
> 
>  1   nothing          nothing   exists          use M
> 
>  2   nothing          exists    nothing         remove path from index
> 
>  3   nothing          exists    exists, H ==M   use M if "initial
>                                                 checkout", keep index
>      exists, H != M             fail            otherwise
> 
> [Same unealt rowspan issue, of course.]

For what it’s worth, except for the broken last row, I like this and
find it readable.  It is too bad there is no way to make it more
compact so more rows can fit on a screen or page.

The ideal, to delimit the header without appearing busy, would be to
just have a thin horizontal rule separating the header from the
remaining rows[1].  Vertical rules are almost never a good idea.
Maybe frame="topbot",grid="none",options="header" would be a good
approximation.

Jonathan

[1] Just my opinion.  I probably learned the aesthetic from Simon Fear.
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=destable