Subject: Re: PATCH: Less fragile lookup of gpg key

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 22:19:37 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 06:19:17PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> 
> Normally the only time I've ever seen anyone end up with multiple
> published keys associated with the same e-mail address it has happened
> when they have accidentally lost their private key somehow and therefore
> they were unable to revoke it properly.

Well, I suspect this case happens fairly often.  (And there are other
cases; where you're still gathering enough signatures so you can use
your new key, and the old key hasn't been compromised, but people have
started getting paranoid about the crypto algorithms involved, etc.)
So I'd argue that saying this is only something that Advanced GPG
users will use is probably a bit short-sighted.

> Meanwhile the original problem here appears to me to be that Git
> effectively encourages use of multiple valid keys that may have the same
> e-mail address attached to multiple key-IDs.

Yes, I think that *is* the problem.  If you want to optimize for the
common case, that's fine, but it's also useful to have a way for users
to specify in their gitconfig files that a specific KeyID should be
used if they are signing with a particular e-mail ID.

							- Ted