Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] Hacky version of a glob() driven config include

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 10:18:58 +0200

On Sat, 8 May 2010, Ping Yin wrote:
> >
> > But perhaps we can break backwards compatibility here.  I don't know...
> >
> I think we can. Because config file is not in repository, so if your
> older git doesn't support it, you should not use this new syntax.

Actually per-repository $GIT_DIR/config file *is* in repository... but
is not distributed (it is not transferred on clone / fetch).

The problem with breaking backwards compatibility is when repository is
on shared filesystem (be it networked filesystem such as NFS or
CIFS/Samba share, or portable USB (pen)drive), and can be accessed by
different versions of git.

From mentioned backward-incompatibile proposals, there is one that is
already used (at least in some Perl modules in CPAN), namely

  [@foo]

syntax, which is used by Dist::Zilla (where 'foo' is name of "bundle",
which roughly means set of pre-defined configuration variables).  
Although it does not support globbing...

The '@INCLUDE = db_config.ini' is taken from OpenInteract2::Config::Ini.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland