Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] diffit - A git plugin for vim

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 11:41:57 +0200

Hi Wincent,

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:12:37AM +0200, Wincent Colaiuta wrote:

> El 15/05/2010, a las 12:50, Clemens Buchacher escribió:
> 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I am currently working on a git plugin for vim. My aim is for it to imitate
> > much of git-gui's functionality. Right now, it is still closer to "add -p".
> > 
> > But I believe it's already useful. And since I'm new to vim scripting, it
> > can use some testing.
> 
> Clemens, were you aware that there are already a couple of Git plug-ins
> for Vim? Of these, the most advanced one currently is almost certainly
> Fugitive:

The git plugins I am aware of, including vim-fugitive, mostly implement git
commands to be executed from vim. I find that utterly useless, since I can
already do that from the command line.

What I can not do from the command line is staging hunks and lines
interactively, possibly interrupted by a quick fix to a change. This is what
I would use git-gui for, only it does not integrate very well with my vim +
cmdline centric workflow.

Here's my TODO list:

- handle file mode changes

- navigation (prev/next hunk/file)

- stage individual lines and (virtual) range

- unstage changes

- file browser (modified, staged, untracked)

- prepare commit message

- git add -e?

If existing plugins already implement these features, then I have missed it,
and I will be happy to use or improve them instead.

As for diffing, some of the existing plugins implement side-by-side, or even
inline diff, using the vimdiff feature. I prefer the native git-diff format,
however.

Cheers,
Clemens