Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add git format-patch produced patches to .gitignore

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:35:49 -0500

Michael J Gruber wrote:

> Does the git build process call format-patch? No! The .gitignore we
> distribute is meant for things the build process creates

Ah, true.  I seem to remember a thread long ago about whether to
include editor droppings in .gitignore, but I can’t find it in
the git or lkml archive.

git’s .gitignore does not include .*.swp, \#*#, *~, indeed.

>> +[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-*.patch

So nack from me as well.  It is nice that the .gitignore file we track
does not have to change with fashions, and this way each user can set
up a personal excludesfile according to choice of tools without
interference.

Maybe there should be a reasonable "default" .gitexcludes file in
gitignore.5 as an example, but that is a different topic[1].

Thanks for the reminder,
Jonathan

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/96220/focus=96289