Subject: Re: [PATCH] WIP: begin to translate git with gettext

From: Jeff Epler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:07:08 -0500

Is it possible that you don't have is_IS language support?  On Ubuntu
this comes from a package like language-pack-is-base.

I tried your po entries in a file named po/is.po, and it didn't work.
When I installed language-pack-is-base, it did.

$ unset LANGUAGE LC_MESSAGES; export LANG=is_IS.UTF-8
$ /usr/local/jepler/git/bin/git status | head -1
# A greininni master

Comparing the bad strace with the good, and excluding ENOENT opens, it's
the presence of the is_IS language pack that is the first difference.
@@ -1,4 +1,8 @@
 open("/usr/share/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) = 3
+open("/usr/lib/locale/is_IS.utf8/LC_MESSAGES", O_RDONLY) = 3
+open("/usr/lib/locale/is_IS.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/SYS_LC_MESSAGES", O_RDONLY) = 3
+open("/usr/lib/locale/is_IS.utf8/LC_CTYPE", O_RDONLY) = 3
 open("share/locale/", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY|O_CLOEXEC) = 14
 open("share/locale/is/", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY|O_CLOEXEC) = 15
 open("share/locale/is/LC_MESSAGES/", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY|O_CLOEXEC) = 16
+open("/usr/local/jepler/git/share/locale/is/LC_MESSAGES/git.mo", O_RDONLY) = 12

Jeff