Subject: Re: git pull

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:31:15 +0200

The 17/05/10, matteo brutti wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> i'm learning about git and soon have a question.
> My repo is in /dev/sda6 and my home is in /dev/sda4, as are both in
> local i thought that when i committ, i'll found the files on repo
> changed, it was not so! I learn i have to use git pull, but i didn't
> understand why.

"/dev/sda" is the physical device and "/dev/sda6" a physical partition
of the hard drive "sda".

Inside a partition, we may find (usually after the installation process
of the system) a filesytem. The filesytem contains the files we can
access to when mounted to the virtual filesytem (begining at "/").

While using user application which works on usual files (like git does),
we don't care about the underlying local hard drive device ("/dev/sda"
here).

You can safely forget all the "/dev/<something>" things here.

> I made some tries, put my repo in /home/user/myrepo cloned in
> /home/user/myclones changed files and committed and the changes was in
> the repo without any need of pulling, and i have permission to write
> to /dev/sda6, so why have i to pull changes?

With the above in mind, could you please try to rephrase your problem
(and maybe provide a basic use case with the commands to reproduce it) ?

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht