Subject: Re: Git clone problem, missing "configure"

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:53:20 -0500

Hi,

Jeff King wrote:

> Right. We don't commit the configure script, as it is auto-generated.
> You need to either:
> 
>   1. Build from a release tarball which contains the "configure" script.
> 
>   2. Run "autoconf" to generate the configure script (obviously this
>      implies that you have GNU autoconf installed).
> 
>   3. Just run "make" without configure. You may need to tweak some
>      settings if you don't have some optional libraries installed. See the
>      top of Makefile for details.

To add to this excellent reply, I should mention the

  make configure

command.  This runs autoconf, also filling in the version number for
correct ./configure --help output. :)

See the README and INSTALL files for more details.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan