Subject: Re: git-status and git-diff now very slow in project with a submodule

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 18:17:04 +0100

On Thursday 20 May 2010 14:28:35 Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > One additional small point: why do untracked files in a submodule make
> > the module dirty?  I've often got a few "temp.ps" or "debug.log" or
> > "backtrace.log" files lying around -- inappropriate to add to an
> > ignore file, but they don't make my working directory dirty.
> 
> "They don't make my working directory dirty" is something only you can
> decide, until you tell git about that fact, isn't it?

Perhaps I've misunderstood then; I have always understood that "dirty" was 
the name we give to the state when tracked files have changes in the working 
directory.  If not, then what word should be used to distinguish between 
tracked files unchecked in and untracked files?

Anyhoo; I don't mind.  Me starting a semantics debate isn't helpful is it?

> The way to tell git about them is to use the ignore/exclude mechanism.
> Why are they "inappropriate to add to an ignore file"?  At least you
> could have "*.log" in your personal exclude $GIT_DIR/info/exclude, no?

I think you've taken me too literally; I was trying to get across the idea 
that they are files that are made on the fly, and when I notice them they 
just get deleted.

Also, I don't want *.log, or *.ps -- neither of them is guaranteed to be an 
ignore pattern.  These throw away files have all sorts of names, made up on 
the spot as I'm working, adding them to an ignore file is overkill from my 
point of view.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins
[email-masked]