Subject: Re: git-status and git-diff now very slow in project with a submodule

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 19:01:49 +0100

On Thursday 20 May 2010 18:49:41 Jens Lehmann wrote:
> Am 20.05.2010 19:45, schrieb Andy Parkins:
> > (Most of my
> > personal use of submodule is embedding large projects that I want to be
> > able to guarantee are at a particular version, but I don't really
> > change them)
> 
> But to guarantee they are at a particular version they have to be checked
> for local modifications (no matter if they happened accidentally or on
> purpose), no?

A valid point.

Surely though in my own .git/config I can be allowed to tell git that I 
don't care about that risk?

I've got a top level module that used to diff/status instantly; now git 
scans an entire Linux kernel checkout and an entire ffmpeg checkout.  
Painful.  I fully accept that it was my own choice to arrange my repository 
in this way, but in my defence, it was fine last week :-)

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins
[email-masked]