Subject: Re: [PATCHv3 GSoC] git-instaweb: Configure it to work with new gitweb structure

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 09:56:45 +0000

Pavan Kumar Sunkara <[email-masked]> wrote:
> While at it, change apache2 configuration to use the same access log
> and error log files as the rest of web servers supported by
> git-instaweb.

Hi Pavan, I'm late to this thread, but I'm leaning against forcing
access logs onto people.  I don't believe access logs are necessary for
instaweb.  Error logs are important for debugging breakage, yes, but
access logs aren't worth the trouble IMHO.

Also, using the same error log paths might make it confusing to people
switching between web servers.  In fact, it may be the most confusing
for those folks if they're trying different web servers and forgetting
to shut down the previous server before starting the next.  They could
end up seeing confusing log messages from the wrong server if they
look in the error log to debug the problem.

I'm not sure why Mongoose has access logs enabled by default, but I know
I conciously left it out by default for lighttpd/apache/webrick.

-- 
Eric Wong