Subject: Re: Maintaining an html branch

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:21:11 -0500

Hi Christos,

Christos Trochalakis wrote:

> I would like to maintain an html branch for my repo, containing files
> under my '_site/' dir that is not version controlled.
[...]
> rm .git/html.index
> export GIT_INDEX_FILE=.git/html.index
[...]

Looks reasonable.  Way I suggest a simpler way?

If your goal is to publish an html branch with the rest of your
branches, I would recommend using a separate local repository that
pushes to the same remote repository[1].

If the goal is to stay under draconian disk quotas by not maintaining
two local repositories, one with the web site checked out all the
time, I suggest using contrib/workdir/git-new-workdir.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/142831/focus=142865
for an example.