Subject: Re: DWIM "git checkout frotz" to "git checkout -b frotz origin/frotz"

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 17:02:25 +0200

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 04:03:30PM +0200, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 15:58, Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I could not make much sense of the thread that came with the patch.
> > The discussion first seems to conclude that it is a bad idea, only
> > to implement it anyway.
> 
> I think it would be useful here to have some links to relevant posts,
> or at least to the relevant thread.

The discussion ends with this posting
http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked] ,
which basically says "we all agree this is bad."

Then Junio changes his mind his mind and posts the patches.
http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked]

Whether the feature has merit or not is suddenly not an issue any
more and the discussion veers off in other directions about minor
technical details and about the --nodwim/--noguess option, the
notion of which I find ridiculous by the way. But it further
illustrates how random and anti-DWIM this feature really is.