Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/4] gitweb: Move subroutines to Gitweb::Config module

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:55:52 +0200

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:52:11AM +0530, Pavan Kumar Sunkara wrote:
> I am graining Gitweb::HTML into Gitweb::HTML::* to reduce circular
> dependancies of the modules.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. How is splitting up Gitweb::HTML to
submodules helping to reduce circular dependencies? I don't quite see
that right now. :-( Can you give a concrete example? Perhaps it would be
better to refactor the few problematic users instead of convoluting the
whole module structure because of the offenders.

>   Gitweb::Parse

What will this module do?

>   Gitweb::Util

What will this module do?

>   Gitweb::Action::* (All action subs like git_blame, git_log)

Do we need to do this right now? I think moving huge chunks of the code
around like this right now is unneccessary and it might just enlarge the
patch queue and delay you in your main GSoC efforts; perhaps we could do
this later when the dust settles a bit and we are sure that the rest of
the modular structure we have introduced fits well?

> I will be rebasing the whole series, edit them and send them once
> every module has undergone as RFC in the mailing list.

Ok! I have meant to ask about that.

> I have been stuck many times trying to workaround the circular module
> dependancies and believe me, the patches I am sending and the modules
> I am creating involves a lot of effort from my side and as long as you
> think there's nothing wrong with the grouping of subroutines in my
> modules and their names, you need not worry about the module
> structure.

I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that - if you have put a lot of
effort behind it, you need to present us with the rationale you have
reached and convince us that this is the right way to take.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The true meaning of life is to plant a tree under whose shade
you will never sit.