Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Another attempt to get the SVN exporter merged

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 01:26:13 -0500

Hi Ram,

Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:

> It certainly looks like I'll never give up trying to get this series
> merged- this is my third attempt

First of all, thanks for your work on this and sorry to take so long
to respond[1].

> I still haven't been able to get rid
> of the compiler warnings about unused functions

Will reply to the relevant patch.  Since it’s not so bad to fix, I don’t
think that should hold up queueing the series in pu.

> it looks like
> this series won't graduate to `master` before that happens- I'd
> appreciate pointers on how to do this.

Instead, I suspect the main missing ingredient is a caller.  The
series builds up some library infrastructure with no new feature to
exercise it, which makes it a good time to get feedback but not a good
time to merge.

Of course, we could easily add a feature to exercise it: David’s
svn-fe tool is IMO quite useful on its own (regardless of how the code
will be used later by remote-svn).

I don’t think that is so important for the remote-svn project.  In
other words, I hope some other reviewers show up, but if that doesn’t
happen, I would suggest submitting again for inclusion once the
remote-svn command with import capability is functional.

I planned to write a series adding svn-fe to contrib/ and then the
computer died.  If someone else doesn’t do it first, hopefully I can
try again this weekend.

> Major change since last time: Removed dependency on mmap for
> portability reasons.

Sad but perhaps necessary.  I guess this also opens the possibility of
later making the save operation atomic with the fsync() + rename()
trick.

Regards,
Jonathan

[1] My excuse: laptop died.  My new setup is finally in place and
working well but this Monday I will be on vacation in a land of poor
connectivity --- agh.