Subject: Re: Tracking selected files from different repository

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:22:17 +0200

The 19/06/10, jhapk wrote:

> I have a source code in a repository A. A has 1000s of files.  In A, I have
> added like 10 new files. For some reasons, I work on these 10 files in a
> different repository B. Is it somehow possible that I can make only these 10
> files pull and push easily from my repository B? There is nothing else
> common between A and B, so I am not sure if putting B as a remote and making
> a branch in A to track it is a feasible idea.

Having B as a remote looks like the most convenient choice if both
repositories have the same history as you can then play with the usual
git commands: diff, log, cherry-pick, etc.

Otherwise, you may either:
- make a new B as a Git fork of A so they share history (and fallback to
  my answer above) ;
or
- play with 'format-patch' and 'am' to export/import (maybe customised)
  commits.

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht