Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC v2 0/9] Subversion dump parsing library

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:24:24 -0500

Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:

> There's a lot of work happening in the exporter and the series will
> probably need to be re-rolled again: I recommend the following.
> 1. Review this series thoroughly, but don't actually merge it because
> it's going to be re-rolled soon.

To be more specific: although svndump.c, fast_export.c, and
repo_tree.c may need to be a bit slushy now while we figure out the
incremental import story, the rest of the series is not likely to
change much in broad strokes.  I get the impression that facilities
like strbuf and string_list benefit greatly from early review, so in
particular let me mention the facilities this series adds:

 . obj_pool, an array of fixed-size records that can be written to
   disk.  This is just begging to be implemented with mmap; maybe
   in the future the compat/mmap.c shim can be tweaked to support
   faking it.

 . treap, a multiset datastructure built on top of obj_pool.  I
   suspect API cleanups would be welcome here: it’s a bit more
   unwieldly than string_list at the moment.

 . string_pool, a collection of interned strings built on top of
   treap.

 . line_buffer, a simple fread()/fgets() wrapper with a static buffer.

I would find feedback on these (or patches :)) especially welcome.

Jonathan