Subject: Re: How to Push a range of commits.

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:47:58 +0200

Hi Mahesh,

Mahesh Vaidya writes:
> On branch 'foobar' I have a range of contiguous  commits  say C1...C9,
> C1 being at HEAD / TOP.
> 
> If I push branch all 9 commits will make it to authoritative
> repository.  Is there a way to push a single commit (as C9 or C10 new
> commit) which is common change set between C1 .. C9

Do you want to squash all the commits into one commit and push that?
If so, use the interactive rebase to squash them into one commit (in
possibly another branch) and push that commit.

If you want to push just a few commits instead, create a new branch
based on upstream, cherry-pick the commits you want into it and push
it to the upstream branch. For example, if I have a branch `foo`
tracking the upstream `origin/foo` and is ahead of the upstream by 10
commits, but I only want to push commit `bar`:

$ # In branch foo
$ git checkout moo # New temporary branch
$ git reset --hard origin/foo # Base it on upstream
$ git cherry-pick bar
$ git push origin +refs/heads/moo:refs/heads/foo
$ # I think the "refs/heads" part can be omitted in the above command

-- Ram