Subject: Re: Why is "git tag --contains" so slow?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:17:11 -0400

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 09:00:21PM -0400, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> 
> There's a big difference between the two: the gitk command you're
> using only works if the given commit is *itself* named by a tag, while
> 'git tag --contains' needs to search the entire history of every tag
> to see if the given commit is *inside* it somewhere.

Gitk provides both.  What I want is listed on the "Preceeds" line in
the lower right hand box (the sixth line from the top in the
per-commit box).

> If all you want is to see if a given commit exactly matches a tag,
> perhaps you want something like
> 
>    git describe --exact-match <commit-id>

Yeah, I'm not talking about the tag and branch names that show up in
the top gitk box (and which you can also get via git log --annotate).
I'm specifically talking about what you get with:

	git tags --contains <commit-id>

							- Ted