Subject: Re: [PATCH] t3000 (ls-files -o): modernize style

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:14:32 -0500

Jakub Narebski wrote:

> ... I don't think it is really needed.  There isn't anything there
> that can fail, and there isn't anything there that produces any
> output.

I should clarify.  I wrote this patch as preparation to add some new
tests to the same script.  The new tests are not cooked yet, so I just
sent the trivial part; there certainly is no urgent reason to apply it
soon (though no reason I see not to apply it either).

A better explanation for the rationale would be "follow the modern
style to make the script more readable and set a good example for
future tests".

> BTW. do all sane shells that can be used to run test suite support
> '<<-' here-doc redirection operators?  Is it in POSIX?

Yes[1] and yes[2].

Thanks for looking it over.
Jonathan

[1] $ git grep -l -F -e '<<-EO' -e '<<-\EO' origin/maint -- t | wc -l
    13
[2] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_07_04