Subject: Passing original commit sha1(s) to prepare-commit-msg hook

From: Michel Lespinasse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 03:49:28 -0700

Hi,

I would like to use a prepare-commit-msg hook to automatically edit commit
comments when a rebase is done, using information from the original
commit. For example:

- Adding a commit message line indicating that the commit is a rebase of
  the original commit(s),
- Adding comments based on information stored in git notes on the original
  commit(s).

Currently (I'm using git 1.7.1) the old->new commit sha1 information is
passed to the post-rewrite hook; however by then it is too late to do
anything with commit messages. During "git rebase" the applypatch-msg hook
is called with the original commit sha1 in
.git/rebase-apply/original-commit, and during "git rebase -i" the
prepare-commit-msg hook is called with current status of the rebase
available in .git/rebase-merge/done; however relying on this would seem
very fragile to me.

Would there be support for the idea of making the original commit sha1
information available to commit message hooks ? And if so, any advice how
I should go about implementing this ? (I have little experience with git
codebase).

Thanks,

-- 
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
A program is never fully debugged until the last user dies.