Subject: Re: [GSoC update] git-remote-svn: Week 11

From: Stefan Sperling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:24:03 +0200

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 04:48:40PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> Ramkumar Ramachandra venit, vidit, dixit 12.07.2010 16:35:
> > it will be pretty painful for Git developers to compile the SVN trunk
> 
> While this is certainly true for the "compilation" part, at least
> getting the source is a snap for us:
> 
> git://git.apache.org/subversion.git
> git://github.com/apache/subversion.git

Regarding compilation, take a look at tools/dev/unix-build/Makefile.svn
in the Subversion tree. Possibly the most painful thing for git devs is
that you'll need an svn binary somewhere in PATH, but any version will do.
Then create an empty directory (say, ~/svn), copy the Makefile in there,
and run make (requires GNU make). That will download and compile Subversion
from trunk, including various dependencies.
If all goes well, binaries (with debug symbols) end up in ~/svn/prefix/

On Linux, -devel packages for a couple of libaries may be needed
(most likely openssl, zlib, expat, libproxy).

Stefan