Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] Get svnrdump merged into git.git

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 02:49:59 +0200

Hi,

Jonathan Nieder writes:
> As long as the relevant licenses permit that.  svnrdump only links to
> libsvnclient, right?

I can see another problem coming: things are likely to move around
quite a bit after the code gets into the ASF. For instance, Stefan's
recent review points out that write_hash_to_stringbuf should probably
be in a reusable library. If these changes happen soon, svnrdump will
be tightly integrated into Subversion, and it'll be hard to separate
out an independent program. Then again, we don't know how soon this
will happen.

If you get this series merged into git.git, Git people will be able to
read and review it easily and it'll be guaranteed to compile against
SVN 1.6. In other words, it won't be a moving part. The downside being
that it's too painful to backport changes from the ASF version, so
it'll remain outdated atleast until the next Subversion release, and
we don't know how soon that'll happen and be widely available.

If the former option is preferred, I'll send one large patch to the
list for mirroring the version in ASF. Also, could the Subversion
people confirm that licensing isn't an issue?

-- Ram