Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Add test for git clean -e.

From: Jared Hance <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:35:54 -0400

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:34:21PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> This is a good start but it doesn't seem to test possible interactions
> with entries in .gitignore file(s) in the working tree.  Do we care?

Honestly, I'm not sure that we do care.

> 
> What should happen when a path "path":
> 
>  (1) is marked to be ignored in .gitignore and -e "path" is also given;

It is excluded.

>  (2) is marked not to be ignored (i.e. "!path") in .gitignore but -e
>     "path" is given;

I think it would be good for "!path" to cause -e path to have no
effect because of globbing issues.

Currently, -e works as normal.

>  (3) is marked to be ignored in .gitignore but -e "!path" is given;

Again, I'm not sure and am definately open to debate here. Personally,
I think that -e "!path" is completely abusing the use of -e, because
it is using -e to NOT exclude something.

Currently, -e has no effect.

>  (4) is marked not to be ignored in .gitignore and -e "!path" is also
>      given;

No effect happens. Again, this is abuse of -e in my opinion, as its
goal to allow one to do a clean and save one or two files.

>  (5) perhaps other combinations like "!path" in a/.gitignore, and -e "a/path"
>      from the command line.

Judging by (2), -e will work as normal.